SAN FRANCISCO – (COMMERCIAL THREAD) – CB Insights today named Airwallex to the fourth annual Fintech 250, a prestigious list of emerging private companies working on breakthrough financial technologies. This year’s list was unveiled on stage at CB Insights’ Future of Fintech conference in New York.
“It’s the fourth class of the Fintech 250, and it’s also the most international, representing 26 countries. These 250 fintech startups are tackling an incredibly diverse range of financial services opportunities across 19 industries including digital banking, insurance, payroll, retail investing, and more. ”Said Anand Sanwal, CEO of CB Insights. “After being named in the CB Insights Fintech 250 last year, the 2020 class saw 17 companies go public and 25 be acquired. They have also raised over $ 25 billion in additional funding and forged over 380 new partnerships after being recognized. The Fintech 250 has always put the spotlight on the best fintech companies, and this year is no different. We’re excited to see how these fintech startups are disrupting and transforming financial services in the years to come. ”
Lucy Liu, co-founder and president of Airwallex said: “As a global leader in financial technology, we are delighted to have been recognized by CB Insights in their four Fintech 250 lists, which is a testament to Airwallex’s tremendous growth since our inception in 2015. This is just the beginning, and as we continue to expand globally, we remain committed to our mission of enabling businesses of all sizes to grow without borders. ”
Using an evidence-based approach, the CB Insights Intelligence Unit selected the Fintech 250 from a pool of over 17,000 companies, including applicants and nominees. They were chosen based on several factors including data submitted by companies, corporate business models and market dynamics and Mosaic scores, CB Insights proprietary algorithm that measures overall health and potential. growth of private enterprises.
Founded in 2015, Airwallex is one of the fastest growing global fintech platforms today and has experienced significant business growth over the past year, recording year-over-year revenue growth of nearly 150% for the first half of 2021, and processing more than $ 20 billion annualized for a global client portfolio that has quadrupled in size, serving innovative global companies such as GOAT, Papaya Global and Stake. The company nearly doubled its workforce in 2021 and today employs nearly 1,000 people at more than 20 locations around the world. In September 2021, the company announced its Series E fundraising of US $ 200 million, valuing the company at US $ 4 billion. This year, Airwallex launched a series of new products and achieved significant milestones with its global expansion plans, opening in the United States in August, as well as obtaining an EMI license in the Netherlands and ‘a Money Services Business license in Malaysia.
Fintech 250 2021: Investment Highlights
- Unicorns: 118 of 250 companies (47%) have a value equal to or greater than $ 1 billion in their last funding round
- Funding trends: In 2021 since the start of the year (YTD), these 250 private companies have raised $ 40.3 billion in equity through 275 transactions (as of 09/14/21)
- Mega-towers: Since 2020, there have been 178 mega-towers ($ 100 million +) of equity investments in this year’s Fintech 250, including 138 in 2021 YTD
- Global representation: 36% of 2021 Fintech 250s are based outside the United States. After the United States, the United Kingdom has the highest number of Fintech companies 250 (25), followed by India (12). This year’s winners are based in 26 countries, including France, Brazil, Germany, Indonesia and Nigeria.
- Best venture capitalist: Ribbit Capital is the most active investor in this year’s 250 FinTech companies, having invested in 62 transactions since 2016. Since 2019, Ribbit has participated in 41 transactions with this cohort of companies, notably with Nubank, Uala, Brex , Vouch, Razorpay, and Bharat Pe. Tiger Global Management and Accel followed closely behind with 57 and 55 transactions, respectively.
About CB Insights
CB Insights creates software that empowers the world’s best companies to confidently discover, understand, and make technology decisions. By combining data, expert opinion and work management tools, clients manage their end-to-end technological decision-making process on CB Insights. To learn more, please visit www.cbinsights.com.
Airwallex is a global payments platform whose mission is to enable businesses of all sizes to grow without borders and, in so doing, contribute to the global economy. With technology at its core, Airwallex has built a financial infrastructure and platform to help businesses manage online payments, treasury and payments on a global scale, without the constraints of the traditional financial system. Airwallex has raised over US $ 700 million since its inception in 2015 and is backed by leading investors. Today, the company operates with a team of nearly 1,000 employees at 20 sites around the world. For more information, please visit www.airwallex.com.